Thursday, December 2, 2010

Cherish

You hear it all the time - live each day like it's your last. Enjoy your time together. Cherish every moment you have. But you forget. Today, a little girl from my church is going to be remembered - not for succumbing to the leukemia that attacked her body for the last four years - but for being a joy to her family and her friends and to God and everyone around her. I can't imagine how hard it must be for her parents today and it makes me want to hug my kids a little longer and tighter. Sometimes it takes a bad experience for us to remember how blessed we are to have people in our lives. Do you thank God every morning when you wake up that He lets you share another day with them? I know her parents did. I know I do. But, I still feel guilty when I don't cherish every moment. I get angry when I don't leave my children feeling like they are the most loved person in the world. Sure, they're not going to want hugs and kisses all the time, but was the last thing I said to them words of kindness and affirmation? Or was it sarcastic or stern? I know life isn't always a country song, but if tomorrow never comes, will they know how much I love them? Some people aren't good with words or physical affection. My love language is acts of service. I do things for people to show them I love them. But, for my kids, that language is foreign. I used to think they didn't appreciate the things I did, but now realize it's because they don't have the same love language as me. When you show love a certain way (as I do with acts of service) then you hope to receive it in the same way. So, when someone does something nice for me, I think of that as a loving gesture. For my kids, physical affection (hugs and kisses) and words of affirmation (good job, you really did well on your math test, I'm so proud of you) are what they speak when it comes to love. So, my mission is to work on that. I'm not a huggy, kissy type of gal, but I have to be when it comes to my kids. I have to let them know that I cherish them and the time I have with them. I never know when they or I will be called home to be with our heavenly Father. And, while we're still here, I've got to show them that you're never too busy to show someone you love them.

No comments:

Post a Comment