Monday, May 30, 2011

Don't be that guy

The other day, I got stuck behind a school bus - not such a bad thing since I've been stuck behind this particular bus many times during the school year and I know all the kids who are getting off so I can gauge how long it will be before I gain my freedom. But it seems a lot of people don't have that kind of time to spare. That whole extra 3 or 4 minutes they might lose out of their day if they have to wait behind a bus. Those are the people that speed up when they see the yellow lights start flashing on the bus. Most people would slow down, prepare to brake, but not these guys. Some of them race the lights so they don't get stuck. Some of them just completely ignore them and drive on by. While I was sitting behind that school bus, I watched a car pass the bus. It had the stop sign out, red lights flashing - all the ordinary signs that a child was getting off the bus. But here comes the car flying past. I expected to see some young person, oblivious to the warnings, but it was an older woman - apparently a mother, judging from the kids sitting in the back seat. I got this awful hollow feeling in the pit of my stomach. What if that bus driver hadn't yelled at those kids to stop walking. What if they were already crossing the road? There I was honking and waving my arms at the passing car and she had this look on her face like she was just in another zone completely. Oh, here's another guy to NOT be - the guy that doesn't pull over for the ambulance or firetruck. What is that about? It's not rocket science - pull over! I remember once covering a story where an ambulance hit a woman's car in an intersection and she was suing the city and making such a big deal about the whole thing, claiming they didn't honk their horn when they were passing through the intersection. Really, lady? then why was yours the only car in that busy intersection? How come everyone else could figure out to get out of the way? What a bunch of bull. Another guy to NOT be? The guy that stands there watching the cashier bag his groceries and not helping. That is so pius. Who do you think you are? Throw the chips and salsa in a bag and put it in your cart. The cashier is working a long day getting paid a little amount - give her a break! Oooohhh, here's my final guy NOT to be. I think I can claim this annoyance for mothers everywhere. Have you ever had a guy rush past you when you're pushing a stroller? You think they're going to go ahead of you and open the door so you don't have to struggle. Nope. Think again. They're rushing ahead because they want to get through the door and not have to get stuck behind you as you struggle to get your kids and your packages through. He's got his Abercrombie shirt and is in a rush to get home and try it on! I'm sure none of you reading this would ever be that guy. But, if you're ever out and about and happen to see one - feel free to trip 'em with your stroller.

No comments:

Post a Comment