Saturday, February 12, 2011

Party pooper

There's a birthday party coming up. One of the kids in your child's class is throwing a bash at the nearby bowling alley/arcade/roller rink/ceramics store/bear stuffing joint, whatever. And then, no invitation. Oh no. Secretly, you want to jump for joy because you don't really like the kid or you have something else planned that Saturday or you don't feel like shelling out the dough for yet another gift or all of the above. But, you can't be happy because your child feels disappointed. She might feel excluded or left out. Gone are those pre-school days when you had to either give every child an invitation or none at all. Some kids stop having parties. Sometimes, you invite fewer kids as you get older. And then there are times when you just don't get the invite. I have to admit, there have been instances when I've taken it a bit personally. The mom I was friends with since our kids were infants doesn't put my kids on the invite list for her child's party. You think you should get the invite - even if the kids don't play together all that much anymore. You think, 'well, I invited her son to my son's party so it should be reciprocated.' But, you've got to hold that stiff upper lip. You've got to show your kids that it's okay to not get invited to each and every party ever held. And, parents, it's okay to not respond yes to every party. I used to do that. I used to feel bad if my kids didn't go to every party. Not that they would be missing out. I just always wanted the birthday child to feel that everyone liked him enough to take the time out to attend his special day. I guess this is one of the many trials of having daughters - I bet boys don't give a hoot about parties!

No comments:

Post a Comment