Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Fear

What are your kids afraid of? The dark? That's a pretty easy one. I think it's less that they are afraid of the dark than the unknown and unseen. Because, really, if you think about it, the "boogey man" could be under their bed during the day too! Do you ever wonder why kids are afraid of things? Like, I think kids are afraid of dogs because they might have had a bad experience or learned it from an adult. If you're afraid to touch a reptile, chances are your kids will be too, right? Really, it's got to come from us. Usually, kids are ready for any kind of adventure - leaping before they look. I've tried to make a point of not showing fear in front of my kids. Granted, there are plenty of things in life that can evoke fear, but I don't think it should rule your thoughts. I don't think you should be afraid to try anything new just because it's different and you don't know what the outcome will be. I remember when I was a kid, we used to get Chinese takeout from Moon's on South Broadway. Oh, I loved that place and would get Moo Goo Gai Pan every time we went there. Well, one day, my dad told me I couldn't get it. He said I would never know if I liked anything else if I never tried anything else and he made me get something new. I was afraid. I liked my food. I trusted it. That Moo Goo made me feel safe. So, I got sweet and sour chicken. Well, if you're waiting for the epiphany, it's not coming. I didn't like it at all. Personally, I don't think pickles should be hot. But, I did end up learning that I needed to try new things and I always do. I encourage my kids to do the same. I don't want them to be afraid. My oldest says she's afraid of bridges because she thinks they'll collapse. I don't know where she gets it. I take her on roller coasters and water slides. I'll bring her rock climbing or cliff diving - whatever she wants to do, because even if I am afraid, I will not let the fear stop me from doing things. Now, my kids might be a different story. They do have some fears - major ones. For instance, I know they are afraid of the laundry hamper. They won't go near it! They, and their diryt clothes, avoid it at all costs!

No comments:

Post a Comment