Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Crafty Mamas

I'd like to think that I'm pretty crafty. I can handle a hot glue gun and use a sewing machine. I can draw a good-looking heart and some other decent shapes. I can cut in a straight line and make one heck of a snowflake during Christmas. But, there are some moms - man, when you talk about being creative - they are like the queens. Today, I was standing outside waiting for the school bus wondering what cool (yet embarassing) thing I could do for my almost-nine-year-old when I remembered a friend who made these cool birthday signs and stuck them in her front yard for her kids. I bet you that is something that those kids will remember when they're old and gray. And it's something they'll probably do for their own kids. I wonder if every mom has stuff like that inside of them. Those creative juices that make you just want to throw a party for something as random as groundhog day or decorate the house just because it's Friday. Sure, you can look up ideas online or in magazines, but you've got to kind of have it in you, I think. You've got to have that gene - that one that makes you the perfect person to be a teacher. Teachers have to come up with new things and cool ideas every day. They have to be inventive. They have to capture kids' attention. As I was sitting here tonight sucking out every creative thought I could muster trying to come up with ideas for tomorrow's Girl Scout meeting (and next week's Girl Scout meeting) and the ninth birthday and oh yeah, St. Patrick's Day, which my children insist we celebrate.... so basically, I'm running on empty. I look online. I check the Family Fun that is buried under a pile of books. Yes, they all seem like wonderful ideas. But, oh, I don't have a milk carton. No, I don't know if I'll have time to go out and get that floral wire. Shucks, that paint needs to dry overnight and we just don't have time for that. Am I using the lack of a creative gene as a crutch? Yes, I think I am. I might just be lazy. I might just be a procrastinator. If I could just bottle a little bit of that creativity and energy those creative moms have. I did try. Yesterday, I went to the craft store and bought poster paint and linseed oil. You're supposed to be able and mix them and then swirl them in water and place a piece of paper inside to create a marbled paint effect on the paper. It didn't work. We got spots and splotches and oily spots. I will try again. I will not let the craft defeat me. I know creative mamas just don't give up!

1 comment:

  1. I'm a teacher and I lack that creative gene. I go online for a lot of ideas. Maybe Heidi O. should offer "crafty momma classes"! LOL

    ReplyDelete