Thursday, December 8, 2011

Put together

Do you judge a person by how they look and what they wear? Man, I hope not, because I would be judged so poorly. Here's my thing. I'm clean. I brush my hair and teeth. I wear matching socks and pants that don't have holes in them. Sometimes I even brush some mascara on my eyelashes and try to spice that up a bit. But I'm not a "put together" kind of person. I'm not an "outfit" kind of gal. I know people who are like this. They have outfits that match. The have scarves and accessories and wear jewelry that matches what they're wearing. They even change their purse or their coat to match their shoes. I had one purse. It was black. It was huge. I used it all the time not matter what color my shoes were. I figured I'd kick it up a notch and bought a new purse - a brown one. Whoa, crazy, right? I'm such a fashionista now I don't know what to do with myself! I try not to brag about it too much. I brought the purse to work but one of the ladies there is a put-together sort. She has a new purse for every season at least. And then the wallet and checkbook cover and makeup bag inside all match too. A makeup bag? You carry one of those in your purse? Why? You're supposed to put on makeup more than once a day? Yikes. I have a makeup bag in my purse and the only thing inside it are crayons. So, like I said, I'm not an outfit kind of gal and I wonder if I'm doing my kids a disservice in this respect. Because now they're not outfit kind of gals either. My kids wear shirts and pants. They don't care too much if the pants match the shirt. They don't care if the outfit is super pretty or anything. Actually, it probably won't be since they won't wear anything with buttons or snaps or zippers or rouching or too many seams. I see other kids with the cutest get-ups. They wear cute little leggings and cute little dresses and cute little boots and hats. My kids could care less about cute. It was easy for me as a kid - Catholic school uniforms make it really simple to not worry about what you have to wear to school. And pretty much all my life I've had jobs where I didn't have to worry too much about dressing up. I'm a big fan of the casual part of business casual. I guess I shouldn't worry about my girls. It'll probably save me a lot of time and money in the long run. I don't have to worry too much about buying all the accessories and different colors of everything. And we won't have to get up to early in the morning to plan our outfits!

No comments:

Post a Comment