Thursday, February 9, 2012

Boy Toys

Author's note: I can't believe it's been more than a month since I blogged last. My computer got the blue screen of death so I have resorted to stealing my daughter's netbook to get my computer fix! So, when I say boy toys, I'm not talking about a Madonna video (I'm dating myself, I know). I'm talking about actual toys and actual boys. Recently, I was watching my nephews play with a neighbor boy. They were playing bay blades (I'm sure I spelled it wrong) and were so excited about an arena and a battle. Turns out the arena is like a plastic bowl and the battle is a glorified version of spinning tops. I didn't get it. Similarly, I don't get Pokemon or Bakugan or Ninjago or whatever other Asian-sounding game boys play. Wait, so you have a card and that's the battle? You don't even flip the cards up against a wall and see who's is closer to win the card? No? You just read the card and that tells you who wins? Oh, reading, yeah that's crazy fun. Whatever happened to GI Joe? And why can't Legos just be Legos? Why do they have to be Ninja Legos? Maybe because I'm a girl and have two daughters that I don't understand boy toys. I don't understand why boys don't want to grab a doll and make him be a war hero and dive into mud puddles and drive a cool jeep and shoot the bad guys. And here's another thing I notice about boys - how are they so darn good at video games? Like, they don't even have to try and they're good at them. They play some game and get 450,000 points and I play the same game and get 4. Not 4,000, just 4. Boys are good at video games the same way they are at remembering every sports statistic they ever heard. Whatever, I'm never going to understand boys. I'm just going to go play Barbies and mind my business.

1 comment:

  1. Don't be a hater... :)

    Girls have some skills too. I mean, I'm sure they must, right? :)

    ReplyDelete