Sunday, October 22, 2023

Conversations

Recently, I was waiting for my order in Five Guys when I hear a woman and her son talking behind me. The conversation was moving. It was moving because the son was moving and the woman (I'm guessing mom) was following him. He was a cute kid, no older than 5 or 6, and he seemed very interested in the drink machine and the person making a shake and putting a cherry on top of it and the huge bags of peanuts and the french-fry-making process and the counter filled with buns and lettuce and pickles. 

He wasn't obnoxious or intrusive in any way. He was just quiet and curious - as if all of this was new to him and he was calmly absorbing all of it. I felt that. I love watching the people at Five Guys do what they do, because there is so much happening and they take something that can be so chaotic and turn it into a chorus. All I wanted was my little burger, but instead all I could see was this little woman back and forth in front of me as the child moved away from her.

No part of that kid was at all interested in what his mom was saying. Normally, that would not surprise me because certain places can be interesting to kids - especially if there is a lot going on. It's not like they were sitting at a table with no other stimulation and she was trying to give him something to do to stave off boredom. She was actively pursuing this kid in an attempt to have a conversation. The problem, to me, was the conversation and I could see why ketchup and bacon and cheese was much more interesting to him.

"Did you know my Grandpa was in the war?" 

No response. 

"Do you know what war is?" 

Staring at the whipped cream being squirted on the shake. 

"War is when people fight against each other with guns and people die." 

WTF?

In my mind, I'm thinking if this chick will have this conversation with her kindergarten-age kid in public, what the heck is she talking to them about at home? 

There is currently a war raging in Gaza and I would never minimize the impact it has on families and nations and the world. I know people need to learn about the history of that conflict and understand there is much more to it than what we see on our regular news channels. But at that age? Am I wrong in thinking he's a bit too young to understand the ins and outs of terrorism? I know we live in a very different world than we did 60 years ago (I was trying to do the math and figure out what war her grandfather was in) but I still think that children can learn things in broad, generic ways rather than a how-to guide of semi-automatic weapons and tanks. I know that there are children in the world who have to deal with war and terrorism and violence and traumatic reality and I am sure their parents do not want to have to talk to them about the types of things they face on a daily basis. I also know that, as Americans, we should teach our children that they are fortunate and should pray for and love their peers all over the world who may not have the same luxuries and basic rights that we enjoy.

That kid was lucky that the only problem he had to face at that moment was if his mom would let him eat the extra fries in the bag on the way home.

She didn't stop talking and finally, they called my number and I got my bag. As I was walking out, I heard him ask for a strawberry shake. I didn't wait to hear her answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment