Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Hand-me-downs

Yesterday, I saw a friend giving away some clothes. There she was with the bag full of items - showing them to another lady. Of course, they weren't adult clothes. They were little baby girl clothes. See, once your baby has grown out of something and you know for sure that there will never be another baby coming to grow into that something - well, it's time to give it away. When I walked by, I said "awwwww" like any mother would. Looking at those clothes instantly brings back images of your own child as an infant. I wish it could be so easy now. I wish I could just pull a onesie out of the drawer and we'd be done for the day. I have been having the most difficult time lately finding clothes for my kids. Here's a dilemma. There's Medium, which is size 7 to 8 and then there's Large, which is size 10 to 12. Is it just me or is someone forgetting a number. Guess what, clothing manufacturers, there is a whole entire year between the age of 8 and the age of 10. My daughter is 9. Should I tell her to walk around in her undies because no one could think to make clothes that would fit a 9 year old? How'd we just skip an age? Oh, maybe we're counting by twos and I just missed the memo. I miss hand-me-downs. I miss the clothing that my children wore when they were infants and toddlers. I miss getting dressed without a fuss. And apparently, I'm missing the boat when it comes to clothing sizes. I will never get it right - one shirt is too tight. The next is too long, the third isn't long enough. So, someone, somewhere - hear my cries for help - come up with a new size - one between 7-8 and 10-12. Hmm, I dn't know, maybe you could call it size 9?????? And don't even get me started on shoes. Size 13 ro Size 1? Whomever decided that we needed to skip all the numbers and chose the number 13 to be the ending point of child's shoe sizes. Who said Okay, this is as far as this will go. Let's start all over at 1. Hmmm?

No comments:

Post a Comment