Thursday, August 13, 2009

eek! a mouse!

Today was another of those rainy days that we have "enjoyed" in New York this summer. So, being the brilliant mother that I am, I decided to take the kids to Chuck E. Cheese. Listen, I didn't say it was a good idea. But, it's better than having them at home, bored and fighting. I knew it would be a bit crowded, but that's okay. I've been there at times when there was a line out the door! Can you imagine? People lined up all for the chance of playing some games and eating really expensive, really bad food. We've been there quite a few times and are becoming experts. If you get there before noon, it's not bad. The place is still pretty clean and there aren't hundreds of kids. Get there at lunchtime or after? You're taking your life into your own hands. The bathroom is teeming with odors and bacteria. You run the risk of your child finding something gooey or sticky inside the climbing tunnels. There are many older kids there too, so if you've got little ones, you have to be more vigilant in watching them. I look at the place as an indoor playground. I get cheap about it too, I'll admit it. We bought the plastic kids cups and bring them back every time we go. (It's allowed.) I very rarely buy food there because the pizza is worse than something you'd get in your school cafeteria. (If you put a lot of salt on it, it tastes better.) And then you use a coupon to get your tokens and win just enough tickets so your kids can get the requisite junky prizes and go home seriously happy. I don't really understand the characters there. They kind of freak me out. I thought Chuck was a rat, but maybe he's supposed to be a mouse. When they send out the guy dressed up as Chuck, I see those two buck teeth and I get the heebie jeebies. I can just imagine that nasty gray tail and whiskers and see him crawling around the bottom of a dumpster. Ick. And then there's a bird and some other things with big eyes. Really, if I was a kid, I think I might scream and cry and run from those awful things. Oh, and if you're wondering why so many parents keep going back to this place? They sell beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment