Monday, August 24, 2009

Slave to fun

So, here I am on vacation in Ocean City, Maryland. It's a lovely place, but a little too nice for me. I'm afraid to get sand on the floor! Of course, if there is sand, I will have to clean it. Just like I've been cleaning up after everyone for the past few days. Why should it be any different because we're in a different state and we're supposed to be relaxing? My husband is relaxing. My kids are relaxing. Me? Not so much. Why is it with kids that they're ready as soon as they wake up? They're ready for the beach and the pool and the boardwalk and fishing and collecting frogs and the water park and mini-golf and whatever else they noticed on the drive here. Do you know how they get ready? They don't. You do it for them. My kids are awake. They want to go somewhere. So, I have to get them dressed. My husband can't find the clothes or the bathing suits or the shoes. Then, they need breakfast. They ask for 10 different things and eat nothing. They want to go to the beach. So, now I have to get the rafts and umbrella and chairs and towels and sand toys and God knows what else. Oh, don't forget the sunscreen. Where is my husband while I'm running up and down (did I mention we're in a four-story townhouse?) - that wonderful lump is watching ESPN. Isn't that wonderful? He is such an awesome helper! So, I drag everything to the beach. Once we get there, Caty decides she doesn't like the water and wants a net to catch fish. She wants a bigger bucket and she wants to walk out to the pier and catch crabs and then walk back and find frogs. So, my mom goes back to the house to get the fishing net and buckets. She comes back with drinks and all the stuff. Where are my kids and hubby? In the pool. Because the beach was too crowded and too boring. When I find them in the pool, they want me to get them something to eat. By this time (and it isn't even lunchtime) I'm fed up with running around and doing everything. Kids wake up, it's time to go. Hubby is showered and dressed, it's time to go. Do they not realize that it takes a little longer for mom to get the kids showered and dressed, get herself showered and dressed, find another dry towel because her husband took the last one from the bathroom, find toilet paper because her husband used up the last of the roll, sunscreen the kids and herself, put drinks in the cooler, make snacks and pack them, find all the sand toys and pack them, gather the beach blanket and chairs and make sure she remembers the keys and pool passes. Okay, now mom is ready. Wait, I forgot something....

No comments:

Post a Comment