Monday, January 17, 2011

Am I smarter than a 3rd grader?

I think the reason for the success of the show "Are you Smarter than a 5th Grader" is people like me - people who think they're pretty well-educated and pretty intelligent but really can't remember much that happened more than two decades ago. For instance, yesterday my daughter asked me on which continent is Cuba? Wait, I thought, Cuba's an island. Did they teach us which continents islands belong to? Today, she asked me about royalty. I know I could explain to her why she could be born a princess but not a queen. But then she asked how royalty started. Like, how did someone first become a king? I guess I could explain that too but that would mean a discussion about tyranny and pillaging and I don't think I want to go into that quite yet. I just think some of these questions are beyond the scope of a normal third grade education. Of course, I'm glad my kids are inquisitive, but sometimes I wish they would ask me easier stuff. Gone are the days of 'but why mama?' My kids are so far past 'why'. They need to know cause and effect. They need to understand matter and inertia and gravity. They're getting too old and smart too fast. What happened to them thinking I was the smartest person on earth? When your kids are little, they pretty much believe anything you tell them. They look at you in awe when you answer a seemingly impossible question. They are so impressed by your knowledge (or ability to BS them when you don't know the real answer). By the time they get to school, their teacher is the smartest person they know. Oh, and if you don't do something exactly the way the teacher does it or if you point out a mistake? Forget it. Your kid will knock you right off that high horse you're riding and tell you Mrs. So and So is right. And then they become tweens and teens and you become a dolt who knows nothing about fashion, relationships, music, life. Those of you with older kids know just what I'm talking about. Those with little ones don't really believe me just yet. Oh, but you will. It will happen. I hate to burst your bubble, but your child will not consider you Einstein a few years from now. Don't worry though, my fellow dolts, we'll get them back in their 20s. Once they've made all those stupid decisions and followed the wrong directions, they'll come back and tell us how smart we were and how they wished they would have heeded our words and advice when we offered it. And, if we're smart, we won't tell them "I told you so."

No comments:

Post a Comment