Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Time flies

Yesterday, my oldest daughter had a friend over. I refuse to call this a playdate. I am from a generation when you went to someone's house and "called" for them and then you hung out and played together. We just played and we found things to do. We didn't ask our moms to make schedules and lists and come up with activities. It wasn't even a thought. The little girl was here for close to eight hours and after dinner when it was time to go home, that is when they remembered all the stuff they didn't get to do. Apparently, they had worked out an agenda. It was pretty cute. Look at the turtle. Look at the crayfish. Play with the guinea pigs. Play with the kittens (yes, I have a zoo). Play in my room. Watch TV. Have a snack. Skype with friends from school. Are you kidding? Video chats is now on the schedule for playing? Somehow, the schedule went out the window. The guinea pigs stayed with them almost the entire day and then there was a surprise birthday party (for me! how lucky am I?) complete with streamers and balloons (that I blew up) and silly string. There was cooking class were pizzas were fashioned and nacho cups were created. There was some dancing and some looking through closets and emptying every drawer in the house. What was so great about it was there never once came an "I'm bored." There was no fighting. Disagreements were easily worked out. They even let the little sister play along. And then when we brought the friend home, the play continued for another hour! This is what I'm talking about - playing, hanging out, having fun, doing so much but doing nothing all at the same time. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with structure, but I think we are parenting in an age when there is just too much to do. We have color-coded calendars and charts and maps and lists and reminders chirping from our phones. Can you make some time for your kids (and yourself) to just play? To just hang out and chill out and not have a plan and just wing it and see what happens? Try it - even if it's for 15 minutes carved out of your schedule. I promise you, the time will fly!

No comments:

Post a Comment