Sunday, January 16, 2011

Eyesight

I sometimes wonder if children don't really gain peripheral vision until they're grown. Or if they have some special kind of kid blinders that prevent them from seeing things beyond the six inches in front of them. I wonder this because my children don't seem to be able to see certain things. I've had their vision tested so I know they're actually able to see properly. They just can't see certain things like the dirty clothes they just walked over on the floor. They can't see the book that they're supposed to return to the school library or the guinea pig food that they're supposed to put in the bowl or the coat hook where they are supposed to hang their coat. They can't find the sink when they need a place to spit their toothpaste. They can't find the small pieces of a toy they dropped (but my foot seems to find it!) or the healthy snacks lining the pantry and the fridge. Besides the eye exam, I know they can see because they have absolutely no problem finding the remote to the TV even if it's jammed between couch cushions. They can find the chips in the pantry and anything in the fridge that has an ounce of chocolate or sugar in it. They can't find a pencil to do their homework, but they can sure find a marker to color their fingernails. They can't find clean socks or warm mittens, but they can find a bathing suit and beg to wear it outside in January. I guess, like any of the other senses, their sight is selective. They see what they want to see. Like men, they don't usually find things that are right in front of their faces. Beyond a cursory glance, kids won't make much of an effort to actually look for something. They will walk aimlessly around the house (or lay on the couch) saying "Mom, have you seen my ......" That's kid speak for "Mom, I'm too lazy to get up so could you get my .... for me?" Open your eyes children!

No comments:

Post a Comment