Monday, January 14, 2019

Not a dreamer

This morning, the photo that scrolled across my computer screen was from the library of my youngest child. It said "Just because your dreams didn't come true doesn't mean mine won't."
WHAT?
Wait. Is that directed at me or is it just one of those random poetic thoughts that tweens and teens have? I mean, was this from her old phone or was it recent? I'm wracking my brain trying to think of the last time I hooked up her phone to download photos. Or is this from the Cloud and she wrote it yesterday? She's already left for school so I can't ask her and now I have to wonder for the rest of the day if she thinks that I think that my dreams haven't come true.
I will admit, I am not a dreamer. I don't have lofty goals or big plans. I just want to be alive, be happy and watch my kids do great things. I try to encourage them every day to believe in themselves and their abilities and to have ambition and drive. But, if I'm happy with the status quo, does that mean that they will be too?
I'm sure there are times when I discourage them from doing certain things because I think they will end in complete failure and disappointment. Yes, it's a hard part of parenting to watch your kids fail and be sad or disappointed. But, it's a necessary part of parenting. Kids do need to learn that not everyone can be in first place (unless you play youth rec sports - then everyone gets a trophy no matter if they are undefeated or never won a game).
When I was a kid, I was encouraged by one parent and discouraged by another. I never had the mindset to be wildly successful at anything. I have some talent and skill so I can find a good job. I feel like I am one of those people that is pretty good at a lot of things but not great at any one thing. I don't want my kids to feel that way. I want them to understand reality, but also want them to also have big dreams. Can you have dreams and not be a dreamer?
I wonder if both of my parents had made me believe that I could do anything, would I have taken a different path in life? Maybe not. When I was a teen, I wanted to be a lawyer and I was told that lawyers didn't have earring up and down their ears like I did. Hmm. Is that the reason I didn't go to law school? I mean, my sister had the same parents as me and she did well in school and is super smart. Did they secretly encourage her or did she just not listen to the negativity? When I tell my kids the realities of life, do they think I am knocking down their dreams?
Great, now I'm going to spend the rest of the day worried that I haven't supported their dreams and they are going to hate their menial jobs and have to go to therapy where they will determine that every bad thing that has happened in their lives could have been avoided if they had a better mother.
Man, sometimes this parenting thing is just hard. No, not just sometimes. All the time. Here's to all you dreamer parents out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment