Thursday, January 10, 2019

Old Yeller

When I was a kid, I was not allowed to yell from one room to another to get someone's attention. If I yelled from my room to my sister's room, I would get in trouble. If I yelled from the couch to my mother in the kitchen, I would get punished. It was a huge issue for my mom. She wouldn't tolerate "yelling from room to room". I never knew what the big deal was. I'm here. You're there. I need to ask you something and the quickest way for me to do it is to raise my voice enough so you can hear me from your location.

As is the case with most of the things I didn't see as a problem when I was a teenager, my mother was right again. I just didn't know it until my kids were gifted with Air Pods. Holy Moses are these things on my last nerve. Before, if my kids were listening to something, I could tell because I could see the large headband covering their head or the wires trailing from their ears. Now? I think they are just ignoring me half the time because I can't see those dumb white nubs stuck in their ears. Seriously, they could be five feet from me and not hear me. And if you know me, you know that I am not quiet. How could they not hear me? I can hear me. The neighbors can probably hear me.

So, what Apple magician decided to make these things resistant to a mother's voice? Are they really drowning me out or can they not actually hear me? I think it's the latter, because they can't hear anything I say whether it's "come help with groceries" or "the dog is eating your shoe" or "do you want ice cream for dinner?"

And now I have resorted to yelling again. Even if they are right near me. Because I never know if they are listening to me or Post Malone.

No comments:

Post a Comment