Sunday, September 13, 2009

Mom Friends

You know, someone once told me not to worry about high school friends. "They won't last. It's the friends you make in college and after that will last a lifetime." I thought about that today after running into two friends that I have known nearly my entire life. Granted, I don't talk to them often, but when I do see them it's like no time had passed at all. I guess they're not really high school friends, since I met them when I was very young. And, I thought of the comment yesterday, when I spent the afternoon with three women I have known for fewer than five years, but feel like I've known forever. And I consider them all friends - way more than acquaintances. Any one of them I would help move, drive to the airport or bail out of jail. So, I wonder who my children will remain friends with? Will it be the children of my friends? Will it be their classmates? They're both already bummed because they're not in the same class with many friends from last year. Should I tell them what that person told me? "Don't worry. You'll make tons of new friends this year!" Really? They don't want to know that. Kids are afraid of the unknown. They get anxious. The prospect of new friends means nothing to them! They want the old friends back. Sometimes, I get that. I want a lot of my old friends back too. I wish I could go back and fix some of the broken friendships, try to stay in touch with the people that slipped away. But, the other part of me realizes there is nothing gained by looking back. I'm getting ready to step away from a group of women that has meant a lot to me over the past four years. And, as much as it hurts to let go, I know that I have to in order to be fully involved with the new group of parents I am joining as a mom of school-age kids. Now, I can have a friendship that doesn't necessarily include a playdate!

No comments:

Post a Comment