Saturday, October 2, 2010

100 percent

Yesterday was Caty's first test. It was on the continents and oceans. The day before, they had a pre-test. Now, if you get 100 on the pre-test, you don't have to take the actual test the next day. The teacher warns you - everything has to be right on the pre-test. If you get a 99, you still have to take the test the next day. You have to capitalize properly. You have to make sure your name is on the top of the paper. You have to spell Arctic Ocean properly - Artic will not suffice. Caty found out the hard way. Artic. She left out the "c" and got a 99 percent. I can't even begin to tell you the amount of disappointment this little girl endured. She came home with friends from her Brownie troop and delivered the sad news. One of the other girls in the troop got 100. Another one spelled a few wrong and really didn't seem to be bothered by it. But, Caty? Yeah, she was bothered. She was mad. Of course, she thinks the teacher is no good and totally unfair for being so picky. Me? Sure, I would be happy to see my daughter happy. and yeah, it sucks to miss it by one measly point. But a 99? If I got a 99, my mom would think I was Einstein! What's wrong with a 99? Okay, admittedly, I am an under-achiever. I got the name around the junior high period of my life and it kind of stuck. That was when I realized that I hated getting out of bed in the morning, hated thinking about math and thought history and social studies were just different words for "naptime". I'm sure I could have done better if, like they all said, I had applied myself. But, really, my sister was the smart one - I don't think my family could have handled two geniuses in the family. Granted, I suffered in college because of my lazy work ethic. I spent more time doing extra-curricular stuff (not just drinking) like student government, sorority, newspaper. I was actually philanthropic! But, my report cards showed it for sure. It's not that I want to pass that down to my kids, but I also don't want them to stress out and get stomach cramps because they're worried about failing! Especially when they're nowhere near failing! Am I doing my child wrong by not forcing her to read and giving her extra educational activities when she's done with her homework? Am I setting her up for a lifetime of mediocrity? What to do, what to do? She studied for the last test, I swear. Ask my parents! Ask my sister - they even quizzed her and she did great. She's got her next test on Friday. It's on the Scientific Method. Maybe I should hire a tutor!

1 comment:

  1. As a teacher, you would think I would be one to give my kids extra and push them, etc. But I don't. My kids have been in daycare from a young age, and they learned what they learned. I never really worked with them. I read to them, of course, but nothing beyond "normal" parent stuff. I didn't want them to be bored in school when they actually started. Jacob is a "mediocre" kid. He could do better, and I do tell him that. Cadence, of course, remains to be seen. I think she is fairly smart, she is extremely verbal, and maybe I should make sure she is doing more. But like you, I don't want my kids to stress over it. For what it's worth, I never would have guessed you were an "under-achiever". So I guess life and smarts are what you make of them! Just encourage them, and let them know that if they are doing their best, they should be proud no matter what! Sorry this was so long! :o)

    ReplyDelete