Saturday, October 16, 2010

Jobs

At a recent meeting, I had members of my Brownie troop playing charades - acting out various careers and letting us know what they wanted to be when they grow up. As you can guess, there were the standards - teacher, firefighter, singer. I loved some of the other ones they came up with - cowboy, scientist, farmer. I don't remember what I wanted to be when I was a kid. When I was in high school, I always said I wanted to be a lawyer. I don't know why. I didn't know anyone who was a lawyer. Maybe I got the itch after watching LA Law or something (dating myself, sorry!). In college, I was a political science major - not that you would think that now. As I've gotten older, my interest in policy and public administration has waned and the idea of being a lawyer conjures up visions of confusing, mind-numbing laws filled with words that I'm too tired to try and understand. I do remember my dad telling me I wouldn't ever be a lawyer since I had too many earrings and my handwriting was too poofy. I guess he was right. I wonder if I kept the idea of that career in my sights just to prove him wrong. Not that I did. He was right. I wasn't ever going to be a lawyer. It just wasn't in God's plan for me. And I'm glad. I'll leave all that lawyerin' stuff to someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment