Sunday, November 14, 2010

Good, better, best

Do we really know what is "best" for our children? This week, I learned two lessons on getting the best. The first was pretty basic. During a Girl Scout tour at Hannaford, we learned that the store gives stars based on nutritional quality - one star for good, two for better and three for best. Now, you'd think all fruits or veggies were three stars, but they aren't. The ones you like the most might have one star and the rutabaga, parsnips and cauliflower have three. It's the same with life. That fact was cemented at church when pastor talked about time management and how many people do things that are good, but don't always do what is best for themselves or their families. It may be good to volunteer at school and go to soccer and karate and gymnastics. It may be good to work out every morning and have a guys night and watch football on Sunday. It may be good to work extra hours or spend your savings on a new car. But, what is best? What is the best thing for your family? Are you the kind of parent that stretches herself to the limit, constantly doing things for others? Are you the room mom for your third grader and the chair of the fundraising committee and the coach of a soccer team and the one that makes the fancy cupcakes for the holiday party? While all that is good, do you really know why you are doing it and who you are doing it for? Are you making your children happy? Are you making yourself happy? Wouldn't your kids still think you are great even if you didn't stay up until 2 in the morning icing cookies? Recently, I had something taken away from me - something that makes it nearly impossible for me to live my life the way I did before. It forced me to give up things that I didn't want to let go of. I felt like I was letting a lot of people down. But, I realized that for a very long time, I was stretching myself so thin. I was making a ton of sacrifices and giving myself to everyone and everything and people were letting me. I was doing all of these good things, but I didn't stop to think about what was best. Your kids might not tell you what is best for them. You have to be able to read it in them. You have to be able to see that they are tired or stressed or over-scheduled. You have to know that they might be acting out because all they really want from you is not fancy cupcakes but to snuggle on the couch. You have to see that even though it's great for you to spend time helping out at school, they would rather have you spend time sitting with them while they do their homework. God can help you see what's best for you and for Him and for your family. You just need to stop thinking you know what's best. I hope you take some time today or this week or this month to think about what is best for your life and make the changes you need - no matter how hard they might be - to get to that best!

2 comments:

  1. I love this post Liz!!!! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! we've talked about stretching ourselves too thin before liz but this is amazing perspective. i obviously need to stop being a control freak so i can hear what He's trying to tell me is best, instead of this crazy cycle i'm on with regret after regret. love your insight! :)

    ReplyDelete