Thursday, November 19, 2009

No Santa

At school the other day, a mom approached me and asked for a favor. Sure, of course, whatever I can do. "Tell Caty to stop telling all the kids that there is no Santa Claus!" I didn't like the way she said it, but I guess she has a point. She told me that her daughter in Caty's second-grade class is her "baby" so she wants to keep up the ruse of Santa and the Easter Bunny and all of that as long as she can. Oh, yeah, Caty told her there was no Easter Bunny either. So, I told the mom that we celebrate Jesus and the real reason for holidays in our house, but I have never said Santa Claus isn't real. I have told her about the history of Saint Nicholas and that it is okay to see Santa as what he is - a type of cartoon or character. But, as far as a strange man sneaking into our house via the chimney to leave gifts? No. My kids don't think that gifts are free and that they fall from the sky. They understand that people work hard for the money they earn to buy those gifts. In our home, as should be in all, Jesus is the reason for the season. But, even if that wasn't the case, how do you explain to your kids that Santa doesn't visit everyone? There are millions of children all over the world that don't get gifts, right? And how come Mom? Why doesn't Santa give those kids presents? So, is it my job to teach my child to not state her beliefs? Or is it the other mom's job to tell her child to just ignore what other kids say about the topic? I figured out around age 6 that my mom was Santa because they had very similar handwriting. Maybe it's time this girl figure it out too. Maybe, tomorrow, I'll go to school and tell her that the Tooth Fairy is pretend too.

No comments:

Post a Comment