Monday, February 8, 2010

How much can you handle?

A situation came up lately that made me think about how much we moms handle every day. It's funny because I was just in the supermarket and the cover of a magazine had a photo of that couple who just had their 19th child. The headline read something "How many children is too many?" Um, 19 is definitely too many. But, that's just me. I had two friends growing up that both had 15 kids in their family. Only one was a blended family. I can't imagine sharing space with that many people, but they did it and they are very close and share bonds I can't ever know. So, how did their moms handle it? I thought my mom had it hard, being that my sister and I are only 10 months apart in age. It was like raising two babies at once since we were apparently inseparable as youngsters. She was a single mom, worked full time and had no family in this country. She did it. The mom with 19 kids manages because she just does. I guess that's the answer. You just do what you have to do. Sometimes are harder than other times. Sometimes, we have to do it alone because we are single or because our husbands are less than helpful. Sometimes, we have to do it when we're sick and feeling like crawling into bed instead of taking care of our family. Sometimes, we have to be strong when we want to just break down and cry. We just do it. Even if there is no one there to help. Even if it seems easier to give up and let it fall apart. Moms just get it done.

No comments:

Post a Comment