Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Can you help me?

The title of this post would suggest that I need some help. I do, actually. I need a lot of help. But for this discussion, those in need of help are my children. I know in a few years I will regret this feeling, but some days I wish they would just leave me the heck alone for a few minutes! My goodness! I mean, they've only been awake for a couple of hours and have needed more help from me than I have energy to spare. Mom, I need you. My kids need me to lay next to them to go to sleep. They need me to walk with them to the bathroom. They need me to prepare food for them. They need me to get them a drink and a pencil and to change the channel and to find their favorite book and to sit next to them. They usually wait until I am in the middle of something else or have walked to another room before they tell me what they need. And if they don't get what they need right away, they are impatient. They need to yell to the other room so I can come to them and they can remind me what they need. Please, you are old enough to wipe your own butt! You are able to find your own doll. You have the ability to walk to the kitchen and push the button on the water cooler and get yourself a drink! Is it just me? Maybe as a child of a full-time working mom, I learned to do things for myself more than others. Am I expecting too much of my girls? Am I giving them too much responsibility at too young an age? As I sit and write this, they need hand lotion. Guess what - the lotion is in the same place it has been every day of your life!!! Can you get it? I mean, I am able to do it, so should I? Or am I setting them up for bad behavior? Am I making them into the type of people who don't know how to do anything for themselves? Funny, I met someone once who told me his kids are not allowed to start a sentence with the world "Dad". Well, my kids never start any sentence with that word because every sentence they utter starts with Mom. I know one day I will miss this. I will miss them needing me for every little thing. I will want them to need me. I know, I know! You can remind me of it in 10 years!

No comments:

Post a Comment