Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Being there

I remember when I was younger, I hated having a last name that started with C. That meant I was high up in the alphabet and would be called in the earliest group during everything. The reason I hated it was because my dad was always late. I prayed that he would see me get my class ring or make my confirmation or graduate from high school. I always hoped they would start the ceremony late or change the system and go from Z to A one time. But, no, he usually missed the highlights. (Funny, now he's always early!) I don't know if parents realize just how much it means to their children to have them there. No matter where it is - if a child is doing something of importance, they want their parent there to witness it. If you are the only kid whose mom didn't show up, you will feel so embarrassed. If your dad is late and doesn't see you get the trophy, it just doesn't mean as much. Some parents are so good about this. They are always there to support their children. I'm not saying you have to smother your kids. Don't visit them at school every day. Don't wait for the school bus with a poster that says "I love you" or something super un-cool like that. Find the happy medium. Pay attention when she scores the winning goal (instead of texting on your blackberry). Watch him in the talent show and clap harder than anyone else. Parents, please, as you're reading this - make a mental note to always get there on time. Always be there for your child, even if they tell you that you don't need to be there. Get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment