Sunday, May 2, 2010

What's in a name?

I'm sure I will make someone mad with this post, but some of these children's names lately are just driving me nuts. I know it's tough to pick a name, but remember - this is something your child will keep with them for a really, really long time. So, choose wisely, please! My first daughter was easy. My husband's maternal and paternal grandmothers were both named Catalina. So, guess what? The second one wasn't so easy. I wanted Caroline so we could call her Carly and have Caty and Carly and wouldn't that be so cute. He didn't like it. How about Casey or Callie or Courtney? Nope, nope and nope. So, I actually let him pick my youngest daughter's name. Here were my requirements: It had to have a nickname. It couldn't be something that rhymed with something bad (see The Simpsons episode Art, Bart, Cart, Dart, Eart - nope, Bart is great!). And the third thing was he had to say the name 20 times in a row to see if it was the most annoying sound he ever heard. Just recently, while talking with my dad, he said he didn't like her name at first. Neither did my mom. She thought Sabrina would spark rantings of "teenage witch". But, since no kids these days know that cartoon, it's not an issue. My dad actually said the name was pretentious like Tiffany or Ashley. I disagreed. But, he said he likes it now since it's grown on him. One name that will never grow on me: Fisher. It's not necessarily a bad name, but when you hear Fisher's dad say Fisher's name every time he addresses Fisher or looks at Fisher or thinks about Fisher or stands next to Fisher - well, after a while, you want to kill Fisher's dad and remind him the reason you are repeatedly kicking him about the head is because he keeps saying Fisher over and over and over! What's funny is that I see this guy at lots of places. And whenever I see him, he's with Fisher. And when he's with Fisher, he needs to remind Fisher that he needs to be nicer to his brother and Fisher should not run near the rocks and Fisher should wait his turn and Fisher should not hit anyone with his golf club and Fisher should talk more quietly and oh Lord, please, I can't take it anymore. I now have it running through my head. It's like my ears are ringing. Stop the madness! Obviously, this man never did number three on my list. He never said Fisher over and over and realized how awful it sounds. Maybe, it's not the name so much. Maybe it's the dad's whiny little voice that drives me over the edge. Hmmm. It's a good thing he's not married to the lady I heard in the supermarket the other day yelling at her son.... Bender.

No comments:

Post a Comment