Thursday, May 6, 2010

Should I care?

Do you ever notice there are some moms who feel the need to tell people every last detail of their child's lives? When I bring my daughter to swim lessons, I sit off to myself and try to do work or something else but I can't help but hear the conversation that goes on with the other moms. Actually, it's more like one woman. She goes on and on and on. I know more about her daughter than I need to, that's for sure. I know how much she weighs and how tall she is and what size clothes she wears and what she likes to eat and what she plays with and man, I feel like I know more about this kid than I do about my friends' children! I guess some people are just chatty and they like to share. They like to tell you all the details of their pregnancy and the minute-by-minute details of labor and childbirth. I guess it fills the space and makes conversation. Actually, I sometimes like to keep things to myself about my kids. That way, it's just mine and I don't have to share it with anyone else. But, who am I kidding, I like to talk about my parenting joys and challenges just as much as anyone! It's kind of like how parents and grandparents used to be back in the days of photographs. When people would whip out the accordion of pictures of little Becky or Johnny Jr. and talk about their feats in ballet class or baseball or biology. Now it's "view my Snapfish photos", which there are usually a hundred of. Now we talk about early intervention and meeting milestones. Our brag books are very different than they were a generation ago. Oh, and by the way, my daughter is a fantastic swimmer. She's just a natural and doesn't she look so cute in her princess bathing suit and yes, I got it when we went on vacation to Disney last year and the kids loved it there and we got to visit friends while we were away and ... okay, you don't care - I get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment