Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Equity

She's got more than me! I hear that, I think, a million times a day. She has two blue markers and I only have one. She got more ice cream. Why does she get to stay up later than me? How come she gets to go first? What is it with kids? Where do they get the idea that life is fair? When do they get the wake-up call and realize life isn't fair? Life will never be fair. You will probably never get the same exact amount of ice cream as your sister because by the time I measure and weigh it to create two exact scoops, it will all be melted! How can I get them to understand? Is it fair that the person at the gas station is driving a nicer car than mine? Is it fair that women age and get arm flab? Is it fair that there are people in the world without clean drinking water? I mean, the arguments could go on forever. Where is the book that explains fair? Why isn't there some professor around who can tell us, in kid language, how it is that a person who plays a game for a living makes five million a year while a person who molds our children and teaches them to read makes less than 50 grand a year? I guess fairness is subjective. And why is it I never hear "she has more vegetables than me?"

No comments:

Post a Comment