Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Back to school

Yahoo!!! I mean, Boo Hoo. Okay, whichever you are doing right now, it's that time of year... when waking up isn't followed by a leisurely breakfast and some cartoons... when you have to start preparing the night before for whatever comes the next day... when the sound of air brakes mean the bus is coming down the hill. It's school time! I actually love this time of year and not just because it means my 8-year-old is out of the house and not fighting with her sister all day long. Sure, I love that part, but I love the crisp air, the excitement of seeing new friends, getting a new desk and opening all the new school supplies you got a month ago but couldn't touch. I know my daughter is anxious, but I am so excited for her right now. This morning was almost a blur. She had an hour to get ready. Her clothes were all laid out and her bag was packed so all she had to worry about was brushing her teeth and her hair. Of course, she started freaking out. Is that the bus? Mom, I'm gonna be late! Was that the bus? Mom, hurry up! Mom, stop brushing my hair. Is that the bus? Of course, as on every first day, the bus was 10 minutes late. She got her outfit on, used the lint brush (because it's black!) sat kinda still while I brushed through the tangles, put on her garish new sneakers - but packed flip flops because it's going to be hot today! She didn't even hit her sister once this morning! She said she was too nervous to eat breakfast and I even tried coaxing her with a chocolate chip pancake but no dice. Once outside, I made her pose for the obligatory first day of school photo. Mom, how much longer are you going to make me take these pictures? Answer? Until you're in college. I told her that some moms follow the school bus and then take a picture of their kid getting off the bus. Her response: please don't ever do that. And, no she won't let me wait with her at the bus stop. She wants me to watch her cross the street and then go back into the house. Not happening, but I hide a little bit just in case anyone is looking. What my cool daughter doesn't realize is that her friends on the bus wave to me when they see me. They don't think I'm totally uncool. So, she's off with her crazy sneakers and her Vera Bradley bookbag (a gift, people. I'm not that crazy!) and her big-girl attitude that provides a good cover for a nervous little girl. And no matter how grown up she tries to be and how much she pushes me away, I will always be there (even if I have to hide) because I know she needs her momma. Things will be different tomorrow when my other baby starts kindergarten. I'll be the one trying to hide the tears!

2 comments:

  1. great post Liz, can't wait for tomorrows!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Twins start nursery school tomorrow at St. Francis. I'll be boohooing all over again. Good thing we were running late today. I didn't get to get too emotional, LOL. Have a great week!
    Ilene K

    ReplyDelete