Wednesday, September 22, 2010

I'm not your biggest fan

My oldest daughter lately is expressing an interest in singers and actors and looks to be one of those kids who is going to buy the magazines with the pull-out posters of the newest teen sensation/heartthrob/hottie. I don't know what they call them anymore, but I assume Tiger Beat went out of business sometime in the New Kids on the Block era. Have you seen some of these teen stars? They look like ragamuffins. I want to grab a pair of scissors and hunt them down just to get the hair out of their faces! I guess people said the same thing about The Beatles, but I just can't imagine Justin Bieber will have the longevity of Paul McCartney! I don't think the teen idols in my day had such bad hair, did they? Shaun Cassidy had the feathers and there is nothing wrong with that. Rick Springfield rocked a bit of a mullet, but who didn't back in the 80s? Beyond that, here is my deal with these pop sensations (besides the fact that they have no talent and basically rely on computers to sound decent)... when did being famous become such a big business? When I was young, I actually took an autograph collecting elective in school and got autographs from a ton of famous people (except Queen Elizabeth. yes, according to her lady in waiting, the queen does not provide autographs to anyone). And all of those people gave their autograph. Some gave a picture. Some even wrote a little note. But, not one of them asked for money. What the heck is this about? If you want to join Demi Lovato's fan club, you have to pay $29.99! Are you kidding? Who is doing this? What child is convincing their parent that they should spend money just to be a part of a club? Wait, I have to PAY you to be your fan? Isn't there something inherently wrong with that? My daughter is not going to like me much when she finds out that I will never pay for her to join a fan club. Did I have to pay to love Andy Gibb? No sir! And I won't start paying now!

No comments:

Post a Comment