Tuesday, September 14, 2010

WWKD

What would kids do? I was watching this news program last night where kids were put into these situations and parents got to watch on hidden camera to see how their children would react. Gotta say it freaked me out a little to see somewhat intelligent teens get into a car driven by a guy they thought to be drunk. They showed teens who promised not to use their phones in the car as they were texting and driving and hitting mailboxes and other stuff. They showed two kids home alone who opened the door to a stranger who said he was with the sheriff's department and then let him in to inspect the milk from their fridge. And all the parents sat watching that hidden camera saying "my child won't do that." And guess what, they ALL did - every one of them. And the whole time I was watching, all I could think was "Oh, yeah, I can totally picture my kid doing that." Sure, I can imagine them opening the door to a stranger. And the part of the experiment where one kid was the bully and the other was the victim? Well, if my oldest wasn't being the bully, she might stand up for the victim. I would hope she would and not team up with the bully! Do you ever wonder what your kids would do when they are faced with a certain situation? I guess the only thing we can do as parents is keep teaching them right from wrong and letting them know there are dangers out there. The best part of the show? 70 percent of kids said they talk/text while driving because they see their parents doing it. That's right friends - we the parents text more than the kids do! Think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment