Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Just one thing

Recently, I won a complimentary session with a parenting coach. I contacted her to give her some background information on my children and the issues I have been having with them. Since it's only one, short session, we have to get down to business really quickly. Her response was to ask me what I wanted to get out of our session. Wow, just one thing? How can you pick just one thing you want to learn and accomplish as a parent? How can you pick just one problem you want to conquer? I wanted to tell her a slew of things. I want her to show me how to not lose my temper, how to make my children get along, how to get them to not talk back and be obedient. I want them to know how to clean up after themselves and show good manners at all times. I want my kids to learn that being naughty isn't funny. I want them to know that hitting is bad and calling names is hurtful. I want them to learn how to control their emotions sometimes. So, how can I pick just one thing to accomplish? I need a parenting coach every day. I need this woman to come to my house and help me all the time. I know my mistakes. I just don't always know how to fix them. Wouldn't it be nice if there was someone around you all the time to encourage you and help you along the journey of parenthood. Well, God is there all the time. You just have to ask Him for help when you need it. It's so funny that we think that we can be good parents. Do we have any type of training for this? Do we all of a sudden turn into Mary Poppins or supernanny just because we've given birth? And how does one become a parenting coach anyway? Did they play in the major leagues or something and get all that experience before doing this? I have so many questions. I need more answers. I'm getting back to her today. I still have yet to come up with the one goal I would like to achieve as a parent. Maybe she could give me the answer. If she does, she'll be coach of the year in my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment