Sunday, September 26, 2010

Everyone's doing it

How many times did you mom ask you "If all your friends jumped off a bridge, would you do it too?" Lots, I'm sure. My daughter's answer to that questions is "Yes". She says she would do it too, so boy do I hope she and her friends never figure out how to get anywhere near a bridge! I don't get it. The girl has all the qualities of a leader, but it seems to me that she would go along with the pack. She seems like one of those girls that you'll see in groups of three or four - always giggling and playing with their hair. The other day, Caty got a fantastic bag full of hand-me-downs from a friend with a daughter in high school. One of the shirts was a halter and of course that was the one my lovely daughter zeroed in on. Why can't I wear this to school, she asked. Mary* wears one just like it. (*name changed to protect the innocent!) Today, my mom made her a shirt. It was at Caty's request. It was this black, shiny, ruffled tank top and Caty loved it. The minute she put it on, I could see the glimmer in her eye. It faded just as quickly when my mom told her she couldn't wear the shirt to school. My mom said it was because she did a rushed, unprofessional job of sewing it. Um, no, Mom, it's because it's the kind of shirt a 25-year-old would wear to a club and not something a third-grader can wear to school! My daughter thinks that if she sees someone else wear a certain style of clothing that she should be allowed to wear it too. I don't know what to do with this girl sometimes. All I can think of is to buy lots of sweaters and keep her away from bridges!

No comments:

Post a Comment