Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Back to school

Oh, today was one of those days when I wished I lived down South so my kids would already be back at school! There are about 12 days left until school starts and it can't come any sooner. I don't know if they sense the end of summer coming. I don't know if it's the rainy weather that we've had the past few days - but it's something. They are on edge, like tigers waiting to pounce on the unsuspecting gazelle at the watering hole. And, more often than not, I am that frail, injured doe laying powerless under the weight and force of the mighty cat. I think they have broken me. Lately it seems I've been walking around in this absent-minded state wondering what I'm doing and what day it is. Where are my keys? Why can't I find my money. Did I leave my credit card at the last store? Is that pain behind my right eye a migraine? Before I had children, I used to wonder why moms said they couldn't wait until September. I couldn't understand why they'd want kids if they wanted them out of the house so much. Believe me, before I had kids, I thought a lot of dumb things about motherhood. It's not that I want my kids gone, but I want my kids gone, you know? I just can't win. They're bored. They're over-scheduled. There's nothing to do. There's too much to do. It's hot. It's raining. They want to go somewhere. They want to stay home. And when you have more than one child, there are different opinions and desires. So, they're fighting with you and they're fighting with each other and everyone is just ready to kill each other sometimes. It's not all that bad. I'm just focusing on the worst part. I'm not telling you about all the fun and laughter and silliness and stuff we do - because that's not as funny. So, September 7, the big one starts third grade and the next day my baby goes off to kindergarten. And then, they don't get a day off until..... September 9. Yes, that's right. Thank you Rosh Hashanah. What a cruel joke!

No comments:

Post a Comment