Thursday, August 5, 2010

Good things

Is the glass half empty or half full? Well, if it's a glass of water with fiber powder in it, it is definitely half full. A glass of beer? it's half empty. Does the way you answer that question determine your outlook on life? I guess I'm a half-empty kind of gal. But that doesn't mean I'm negative. Critical, sarcastic, picky - sure, but not negative. This week, I met two women who brought a little sunshine to my days. They weren't all giddy and sappy and silly. They were just regular women who have regular problems and regular lives. The biggest thing they have in common? God. And I love that you could just tell that they have God in their lives and that they are grateful for their blessings. Even when their teenage son was giving them a hard time about something. Or their pre-teen daughter wasn't getting along with her siblings. These women realize that these issues are just a part of life and by putting their faith in God, they can help their kids make good decisions and be better moms. I need to do that more in my own life. I try to make all the decisions myself instead of asking for His help. Sure, we can learn from our own parents or read articles on parenting, but really what we should all be doing is praying every day to be good parents and to lead our children down the right path. I know I often get stuck in a rut of seeing the bad things my kids do. Of course, I praise them for the good things, but I think I make too much of the bad things. I need to not make small indiscretions into monumental acts of disobedience. I can pick my battles. I can shrug things off. I can count to ten. I can let things slide. I must. And remember, if your glass is half empty, you can always fill it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment