Thursday, August 12, 2010

Being hands-on or off?

Are you a good teacher? I'm not. I will admit it. I think some people are just born with this ability to teach people how to do things. That was something left out of my genetic makeup, I guess. To me, it is easier to do something myself than to show someone how to do it. So, it is extra hard when it comes to my kids. Do you know how badly I want to fix that backwards "Z" every time my little one writes my name? Do you know how much I want to put the glue on the paper and lightly tap the jar of glitter onto the picture instead of watching my kids dump globs of glue and pour all the glitter all over the place? This week, my daughters have been working on some arts and crafts entries for the upcoming county fair. (Side note: That is a sentence I never would have thought I would utter in my life!) So, I've been helping them a little when they need something difficult done (hot glue, major scissoring, etc). But it is killing me! I'm not saying I'm an artist - far from it. But, I can draw a heart and a smiley face and a rainbow. I'm pretty good at coloring inside the lines. That's why it's hard for me to let them color outside the lines. But I do it. That is the important part. No matter how differently I would do the project, I never let them know. I never telling them what they're doing is wrong. I never criticize or say I don't like something. Sure, the fairy can have green hair and purple wings and a yellow dress. Yes, there are three noses on that fish and they are all beautiful. No, it doesn't look bad that you cut the girl's ears off and put her earrings on her fingers. Art is subjective, right? One person's trash is another person's treasure, right? As parents, they all have to be treasures. I'm not going to lie to my kids and tell them they're da Vinci or anything, but I will tell them I love the colors they used or that the polka dots really make that dolphin stand out in the picture. I will not do the project for them. I will not impress my vision on their creation. I guess my teaching method is as hands off as you can get!

No comments:

Post a Comment