Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Hoarders?

I know it's not nice to call your child names, but I think one of my kids might be a little hoarder! Just cleaning out my car and checked the seat pocket in front of her. When I tell you I pulled out a shopping bag full of junk, I'm not kidding. And I just can't describe it. It's junk. Trinkets and baubles and little games and kids meal toys and books and papers and pens and notebooks and dolls and toys and it goes on and on. Thankfully, she wasn't with me when the cleaning was getting done because she would have freaked when I threw it out. I am not allowed to throw out anything if that child is around. And no matter how much stuff she has, she always needs more. Take those silly bands bracelets. She's got a bunch of them. She doesn't wear them. She just has them. I think she actually likes just counting them. It's like some type of comfort to her knowing that she has more than most of America. I've tried to try to get her to give away one thing before she gets something else, but that hasn't worked much. She likes collecting things. Usually, a kid will have one collection, maybe two. Back in the day, it was stamps or coins or baseball cards. Now it's Pokemon and Littlest Pet Shop dolls and a zillion other things that have no value and confuse the heck out of parents. I can't blame her though. I'm sure she learned it from me. I don't like to throw things out either. I used to collect stickers for crying out loud. I mean, who buys stickers and never uses them? My kids now own some of the stuffed animals I had as a child, so I guess that was one of my collections too. I even tried to justify my collections of rocks and shells by thinking of them as souvenirs of my trips. And I didn't stop when I got older. I used to keep nametags and press passes. But, my collections had to stop when I had kids. I would love to say it was because I made life-changing decisions or became a new woman, but that's not the case. I had to make room for all of their junk!

No comments:

Post a Comment