Thursday, March 5, 2009

Hooray for Poopy!

You know that saying - "Your child won't go to kindergarten in diapers"? Well, I wasn't so sure. I actually thought Sabrina might be known as the ultimate partyer in college because she'd never have to stop drinking to use the bathroom. She'd just pee in her diaper right in the middle of the action. Well, today is the day she proved me wrong - thank God! Yesterday, she made it an entire day in undies. No accidents (and when I say accidents, I mean purposely peeing on the dining room floor or the couch). I was so happy. It's not that I'm worried about the whole potty training thing or comparing her to her older sister who was potty trained at 2 after about a day of working on it. I just kind of want to stop shelling out $20 for a bag of pull-ups, you know? At first, Sabrina told me she didn't want to "ride the potty train," but she liked wearing big-girl undies and she said she'd try. I figured pee would be easy. She pees on the toilet at school. She does it at home when she feels like it. Poop? That's another story. Sabrina said No. And, really, what can I do? I can't make her poop on the toilet. I can't make her poop at all (well, I guess I could give her a laxative, but that's just mean!) A friend clued me in on this three-day potty regimen that requires you basically to stay home and follow your child, watching for any signs of their need to use the facilities. And, if you catch them in the middle of it, bring them right to the toilet. Can you just picture me running to the bathroom carrying my little girl as she drops a trail of poo nuggets along the way? I seriously considered the plan, but the idea of spending three days locked in the house with a backed-up 3-year-old and her impatient older sister is not my idea of a relaxing weekend. Oh, yeah, and the plan tells you to throw away all your diapers so you don't grab one in a moment of desperation. Hmm, sounds a lot like emptying the liquor cabinet after rehab! So, today, I was nonchalant. The undies went on as if it's something we do every day. She told me every time she had to pee. Then, I saw her walk behind a chair (a sure sign she's hiding to poop). I asked her if she had to go. "No, mama." Asked again. "Mommy, I need to poop in my diaper." So, I picked her up and brought her to the bathroom. I asked her if she wanted to big potty (our toilet) or the little one (a potty chair). She chose the little one. I felt so bad for this little girl. She kept standing up and sitting back down like she just couldn't get comfortable. And I just sat there like it was no big deal - just talked to her like I would any other moment of the day. Then, I saw the strain and her face scrunched up and turned a bit red. And, then, I heard it. A few little plunks and I knew the nuggets had found their way to the bowl beneath her bottom. I shrieked with joy, high-fived my girl and told her how happy and proud I am. Now, I told her, we will go buy the ballet shoes you've been asking for. She was so excited, she called about 10 people to let them know of her feat. And, wouldn't you know, she pooped twice today!

No comments:

Post a Comment