Thursday, March 19, 2009

Madame President?

At the PTA meeting last night, some suggested I run for president. I laughed because that seems the furthest thing from my mind. I know I could do it - I have the organizational and administrative skills. But, I just don't think I'm patient enough to deal with so many issues. I would probably roll my eyes and frown when people made suggestions I didn't like. I wish I could be one of those people that say negative things while smiling - the kind of person that people think of as "nice." Regardless of whether I decide to run for the board, I'm still on a mission to convince more moms and dads to become active in my school PTA. I just don't know how! When I talk to people and they say no, I take no for an answer and don't push it. There are a lot of moms who complain about PTA and say it's a big clique. I don't get it. When I started going to meetings, I didn't know what was going on. There were a lot of experienced members and they didn't seem to realize that newbies might not understand what they were discussing. So, I did this crazy thing - I went back to the next meeting and I TOLD them! Can you believe it? Me - giving my opinion? So, I jumped in and got involved. And I'm learning as I'm going. So, maybe someday I'll be PTA president or maybe I'll just keep doing publicity or whatever else they need help with. But, I'm begging all the parents out there to get involved with their child's PTA. Go to Board of Education meetings. Volunteer. Even if you work outside the home - find some time to give some time. Be a voice - fight for your school when there are going to be cuts. Your child won't remember that you worked overtime to pay for that new TV. But they will remember that you were the dad who sat in the dunk tank at the school carnival or the mom who read to his class.

No comments:

Post a Comment