Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Time for me?

So I just had this long conversation with BFF on the phone and she urged me to take some time for myself. She suggested even taking 20 minutes out of the day to go and buy some milk at the grocery store and getting on the longest line if that's what it took to get some "me" time. I kept arguing with her that I didn't need it. I say I don't want to leave the girls at home and all I would do while I was being alone would be worrying about them. It's silly, I know. And those of you who know BFF know she can be quite persistent. When she thinks something is the right thing to do, she will get you to agree - whether you like it or not! But, really, what kind of lives are we living that going to the grocery store alone is considered a mini-vacation? When I think of "me" time, I think it's being too self-serving, like my whole life should center on my kids and only them. Then I was reminded of that thing they tell you on an airplane. If the oxygen masks come down, put yours on first and then put on your child's. At first you think, "That's crazy! I would help my child before I help myself!" But, if you're passed out (or dead) you can't help them at all. So, I'm going to try it. I'm going to go for a walk or sit outside and read or do something nice that doesn't involve stress. Because I realize I'm at the point where I fake constipation just to get five minutes to myself in the bathroom. I think I need a new plan!

No comments:

Post a Comment