Sunday, April 12, 2009

Hollow Bunny

This morning, as my girls were digging into their Easter baskets, my husband pulled out one of his "when I was your age" stories. At first, I got flashbacks of my dad (who was able to take the bus to the movie theater, see a double feature, get popcorn and candy - all for about $1) but then I realized what Chris said was true - and funny and sad at the same time. He told the girls "When I was a kid, the only thing we got for Easter was one chocolate bunny." He then went on to whine about his bunny being hollow and how his friend's parents must have been rich because he always got a solid chocolate bunny. Funny and true. We did get one chocolate bunny. And our egg hunts? There were no plastic eggs filled with little toys and candy. We colored the hard-boiled eggs and my mom hid them. I do have fond memories of that, though, since she would give us little clues and tie yarn or ribbon to the eggs so they were easier to find in our apartment. I think of that every year as my kids run around the backyard searching for their treasures. This year, we took the girls on several egg hunts - two of which were pretty disappointing. But, they were happy with what they got and I am amazed at the joy within them. Who knew someone could get so excited by the discovery of a rubber frog or an eraser?! Sometimes, I get sad with my children because it doesn't seem like they're happy with what they have. It seems like they want more too often. But as I watched them on the floor with their cracked eggs, I realized that it's not the amount of stuff they got that made them happy. Heck, at one hunt, Caty got only three eggs and gave one of them to a child that was crying because he didn't find any. This is not the work of a greedy girl. I realized that it's just fun - finding the eggs is fun. Opening the eggs and discovering what's inside is fun. It's the same as Christmas or birthdays - the more presents there are, the more opportunities for discovery! I'll keep that thought in mind every time my kids want something new. And just for the record, the girls did get chocolate bunnies in their baskets this morning. And, yes, they were hollow!

No comments:

Post a Comment