Tuesday, April 28, 2009

You're just not getting it

I just had one of those "a ha!" moments when you give yourself a mental forehead smack. I finally understood something that has been a sticking point for quite a while with my beautiful, spirited, sassy, clever, wonderful oldest child. I just got an e-mail from an editor asking a bunch of questions about an article I submitted. Part of me didn't really understand the questions because, in my opinion, they were already answered in the story. But, since she's not me, she doesn't see things the way I see them. So she asks questions, which I find inane so I give her a bit of an attitude when I answer them. Like "Why don't you get it?" And that's when I realize that my daughter often feels the same way with me that I am feeling with this editor. She's trying to explain things to me and I think she's talking back and being sassy and disrespectful. Hmmm. Maybe she's just aggravated that her mom doesn't get her. Of course, this makes me feel awful, because I'm totally on her side and I want her to always know that her mom understands her. I don't want there to be a divide between us. So, I guess I'll just have to keep trying harder and harder to show her that I do get her. As for the editor? If she wants me to explain myself more clearly, I think she'll have to pay me more!

No comments:

Post a Comment