Thursday, April 16, 2009

Mating call

Today, Sabrina and I stopped by our local farm market. The produce is awesome and the kids love to visit the chickens, turkeys, goats and whatever other animals happen to be there. Today, there were a ton of ducks hanging around. They were really beautiful and I don't recall ever seeing these varieties before. As we're feeding the goats and enjoying the spring day, one of these mallards decides he wants to procreate with one of the other ducks. I tried to look away, but I just couldn't! Listen, I understand animals do this just to produce babies. I get it. What I don't get is why the female of almost every species usually gets the short end of the stick (pun intended). This poor duck! The male climbs on her back and he has such a hard time maintaining his balance. I can just imagine this female..."Could you get off my back?!" Ugh. Then, while he's trying to do whatever it is he's doing, he's pecking at the back of her neck with his beak. Talk about a pain in the neck! He tried it with a few more of the ladies and they were all just squawking. After about 3 minutes, he gave up and fell asleep. Typical! I was very happy Sabrina didn't catch any of this and start asking questions. And believe me, I made sure not to drive past the cows on the way home!

No comments:

Post a Comment