Saturday, June 20, 2009

Crazy Kids

I don't get it. I consider myself a pretty calm person. Now, wait. I didn't say I was laid back or easy going. I know I am not those things. But, I'm calm. I'm not loud. I'm not crazy and wild and out of control. So, why are my kids like that? I don't understand. If you're tired, lay down. If you're hungry, eat. If you're thirsty, drink. These are not difficult concepts. I think even a child can understand them, don't you? So, why oh why oh why do my kids go ballistic on me when it's time to do anything? I do that whole countdown thing. I warn them. I let them know what's coming. I give them a chance to transition. But, then when it's actually time to get the pajamas on or take a bath or turn off the television or go to bed, they blow a gasket and go mental! I swear, my nearly four-year-old won't go to sleep until she exhausts herself and passes out! I mean it. I wish I was one of those moms that brings their child to bed, watches them lay down, reads them a story, kisses them good night, turns out the light and leaves the room. That will never, ever happen in this house. I know it's our fault (and when I say "our" I mean my husband) that my girls got spoiled. He always held them and laid near them when it was time to go to sleep. Now they want me to do it. But I can't just lay there. I have to read to them. I have to tell them stories. I have to hum. I have to tickle their tummies. I have to leave the light on. I have to get up and go get them water. I have to fix the blanket. You get the idea. So, really, I need help. I need these kids to just calm down already! Any ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment