Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Fashion nightmare

I have been very blessed lately to have gotten some clothes from a friend for my oldest daughter. She is 8 and in a place now where she's too old for stores like The Children's Place and too young for the other stores in the mall. Yes, those mall stores would put a major dent in the wallet, but it's more than that. I don't like how these stores sell to us or our kids. Did I ever tell you the story about Bloomingdales? I was in there shopping once and happened to grab some shorts for my daughter. Well, you couldn't really call them shorts because they were the size of briefs. My biggest complaint? They said JUICY on the butt. Yes, I know there is a label called Juicy Couture. I know this because my sisters in law seem to like this label and buy stuff for my girls all the time. Some of the stuff is cute - charm bracelets with little pieces of fruit on them. But I draw the line at anything that says Juicy on my daughters. Nothing about them is juicy. And if you think anything about a girl is juicy, well, you're a pervert. So, I complained to Bloomingdales and wouldn't you know the store's general manager called me to discuss it. He told me he had daughters himself and wouldn't let them wear those clothes. So, why do you sell them? Because "we sell what people buy." Okay, that is twisted logic, but I guess I can't blame him. It would be awesome if this man would take a stand and convince this retail giant to not allow such trashy clothes in the children's department. He probably thinks he would lose his job if he did something like that and he's probably right. We can't keep blaming "the man" for our letting this nation fall into a moral hole. Don't give me that nonsense that "everyone does it" or "it's harmless". It's not harmless. If you let your daughter wear shorts that basically show the world her business, you have got to know that boys and grown me will look at her and have thoughts about her. Why give them that option? Why let someone have the opportunity to look at your child like that? And if you don't think that clothes give people the wrong impression of you, you're living in a dream world. Yesterday, I tried on a shirt that had been sent to me. When I tell you it was like putting on a bodysuit, I am not lying. Granted, I am not slim. But I think she mistakenly sent me an XL for a child instead of an adult. I think she figured that because it was for a college reunion, that I would somehow want the type of shirt that college girls wear these days. Wrong. So, while we were at the mall, I figured I'd go to Old Navy, where I was sure I could find some appropriate clothing. I was looking at a t-shirt for myself. I opened it up (because you know they have those military-style folds!) and when I did, I could see the stacks of clothing beyond it. When I say that, I mean I could see through the shirt. What is that about? Since when did this clingy, gauzy fabric become so popular? Girls, do you realize you are being duped? This whole fashion trend of wearing two (or even three) shirts? Yeah, you think it looks good to pull the undershirt down so you can see it. I get it. But, guess what? You were just dumb enough to shell out money for TWO shirts. Instead of paying 20 bucks for a shirt, you paid 40. And, no one can even see the one underneath, so what's the difference? Who would know if your undershirt came from Abercrombie or the aisles of WalMart? It's just another conspiracy. Double see-through shirts and trampy clothes - just say no.

No comments:

Post a Comment