Monday, June 21, 2010

Leaving normal

Today is the last full day of school this week for my oldest. She then has three half-days and is then off for the summer. What are we going to do? You get so used to having a routine. The kids go to school. You do your thing. Even if you are over-booked during the school year, you're still in a routine. Now that the lazy days of summer are here, the routine is changed. Maybe you're lucky enough to send your kids to camp. That puts the onus of entertaining your children on someone else. But, if you're like me, your kids will be home all summer. Sure, the excitement of being done with school will last for a little bit. But, once the first day is over, my kids will want to know what's next. When there isn't a full day of activities planned, they will be asking me "what are we doing today?" and "who is going to be there?" Here's my big dilemma. No camp. No real organized activities. The kids say they don't want them. I think the oldest is afraid of any more structure in her life! The youngest just does what her big sister wants, so there's that. That would be okay, except they are both very different creatures. One likes to go one way, the other in the opposite direction. My problem is getting them to meet in the middle. What do you do when you have two kids that don't want to do the same thing? There is only one of me. Even when we're in the pool, they want to play different games and they each need me to help them play, so I'm torn (almost literally) between the two. I was thinking of some type of system where they can pick from a pre-printed list of activities. Actually, that's exactly what I'm going to do. Well, I wrote myself a note to do it, so it's on my list of things to get done. Hopefully, I'll have it in place by Friday. Wish me luck. I'm going to need it!

No comments:

Post a Comment