Sunday, June 27, 2010

High school

Yesterday, I covered a high school graduation ceremony for work. It was a nice event and it brought back so many memories. Funny, because the girls were in white and the boys in hunter green, just like when I graduated high school. They had caps on though. We weren't allowed to have caps because they were banned after one of the graduating classes threw their caps at the administration. I guess they figured if the one class hated them, everyone else would too. Anyway, it was strange to watch these kids walking down the aisle and to listen to the speeches about these being the best years of their lives and how nothing should stand in their way. I wish I could remember what it is like to have that kind of ambition - to think that nothing can stop you and you can achieve anything you want. Most of the kids at this event don't understand what a struggle or hardship is. They all have expensive phones and ipods and laptops and probably even cars. I could barely afford to buy textbooks when I went off to college. Man, what would I have done if I was in the class of 2010 instead of the class of 1988? Just watching the parents trying to get a good camera shot of their kid and hearing them laugh at the speeches and seeing them nod in agreement when they heard something enlightening - it was just a prelude to what I will deal with in 10 years. I know those 10 years will zip by me way too quickly. I just hope that by the time my oldest graduates high school, she is ready to tackle her future. I know I wasn't. I was so lost. I felt so alone and unprepared. Sure, I had lots of fun in college, but I wasn't ready for it - not by a long shot. High school doesn't prepare you for college. All it does is teach you how to pass standardized tests. For those parents who are getting ready to say goodbye to their sons and daughters, I admire you and send my heart out to you. And to those kids who are sad to go but excited for the new challenge - good luck. Do the right thing.... even when no one else is watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment