Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Mother knows best

There are certain things in life that can only be done right by your mom. And, more specifically, certain foods that taste best the way she makes them. Well, not in my house, apparently. Today, my daughters asked for soup with their dinner. Don't ask me why since it was in the 90s outside. Who wants hot soup on a hot day? Anyway, they wanted soup and I said I would make it. And they both said NO!! They both said "We want Gammy to make it." My mom looked tired and cooking soup looked like the last thing she wanted to do. I persisted. I'll make it, I told my little angels. Leave Gammy alone. NO, they yelled. What's the big deal? Gammy makes it better. I stepped back like I just got a blow to the stomach. How could my offspring refuse chicken noodle soup from their momma? They just dissed me hard. I wouldn't mind so much if they chose their aunt over me - she was trained at the Culinary Institute of America. Or they could pick their nonno over me - he's been a chef longer than I've been alive. But, no. Smacked in the face, kicked to the curb over chicken soup. I was so ready to make it too. I had some nice egg noodles all ready to go. Oh, well, their loss, right? Nah. No loss. I have to admit, I like my mom's soup better than mine too. I don't know why it's so different. It's just better. There are a lot of foods I make better than my mom - probably because she doesn't make many of the foods I make. But, I'd rather eat her cole slaw than anyone else's. She got the recipe from her mother-in-law and actually still makes it in my grandma Vera's old bowl! I can't remember if my grandma's was better than my mom's, but I wouldn't tell her if it was. My mom also makes some awesome potato pancakes - so good in fact that the CIA-trained sister will stand by the stove and eat them the second they hit the plate. So, I'll give my mom the props. I'll let my girls diss me a little. Because I know tomorrow night, when they want chicken piccata for dinner, they'll come running back to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment