Tuesday, June 1, 2010

I feel pretty?

Tonight, my little one was hopping into bed when she spied a picture of me. I don't know why I have it. The photo is from college and the girls took it from my mom. Anyway, she says "Mom, I didn't know you were so pretty in college." What do you mean, I asked my little girl as we snuggled into bed. Well, your hair was curly and you were wearing makeup. Do I look like that now? No, she says, your hair is very different. Can't explain the concept of a perm to a four-year-old. Well, do you think I'm pretty now? Sometimes, she says, because you have earrings. Would I be pretty if I didn't wear earrings? Yes, because sometimes you wear makeup. Would I be pretty if I didn't wear makeup? Maybe. She didn't say it with much conviction. Apparently, the more I gussy up (yes, I just said gussy), the prettier my girls think I am. I guess it's because they don't see it every day. I wonder if I should go out of my way to get dolled up every day. Should I do my hair and makeup and put on jewelry and nice cloths every day? Or should I just be me and continue to wear regular old clothes and wear my hair however it falls? Am I teaching my children to not care about looks? Oh, I hope so! I don't think my daughters have ever once seen me wear high heels. If they think getting dressed up means wearing earrings, maybe I should try a bit harder once in a while. I know they rave when I wear perfume, so I could do that this week. That will be my fancy!

No comments:

Post a Comment