Thursday, June 3, 2010

Summer's coming

The idea of summer just scares me! Tomorrow is the little one's last day of preschool and then she will start big-kid school in September (my sadness about that is a whole other topic!) Yesterday, the girls and I were talking about summer. When I remind the oldest that all her friends will be in gymnastics camp, she doesn't care - she won't go. So, I ask her what she plans to do every day. Go in the pool, call my friends, watch TV. Um, no. TV? No, sorry, you won't spend the day watching TV and talking on the phone. You will be outside playing sister! I'm gonna pull the "back in my day" card on that one. Don't you remember summer? You would wake up and run out the door in the morning and not come home until dinnertime. Then, you couldn't wait to go back out and play until the street lights came on. What happened to that? Do kids still do that in city settings? Is that I live too far away from the next closest kid's house? My kids need to be outside. Even if they're bored. They need to be laying in the grass and watching an ant carry a bread crumb. They need to build a clubhouse. They need to get excited when they hear the ice cream truck. It can't always be about going somewhere or being with someone else or doing something that requires packing up the car and spending a ton of dough. I hope they can find some adventure in the backyard.

No comments:

Post a Comment