Monday, February 9, 2009

Driving

Today, as I was driving Caty to school, I noticed a woman driving, shall we say, right up my rear end!!! This lasted a few miles. She didn’t get my hints. I slowed down a bit. I did the tap-tap of the brake lights. I even did the half turn over the shoulder accompanied by the evil eye. Doesn’t that normally work? So, why didn’t she see it? Oh, because she was texting! Yes, texting. Like some 16-year-old girl who needs to know what her friends are doing at every minute of the day. I finally noticed when she pulled up next to me at a light and I smacked myself in the forehead to let her know what I thought of that! Women, come on! I know we all think we’re good drivers, but what are the odds? You say “Well, I haven’t been in an accident.” Right, but how many have you caused? How often have you been yelled at, given the finger or laughed at by your husband because you did something a good driver wouldn’t do? Could we at least agree that you might be a better driver if you paid more attention to what you were doing and didn’t talk on the phone or text people? In this state, using a phone (unless it’s hands free) is illegal. Granted, people rarely get caught for this violation. But, if it was harmful enough to make a law about it, don’t you think you can refrain from doing it when you’re on the road with your kids in the car? Believe me, I am sometimes an offender. When I worked, I was known to talk on the phone, take notes during an interview and smoke a cigarette while driving 80 on Interstate 684. But that was back in my early 20s when I was an idiot. I’ve changed. I swear. Now, if I must take a call and can’t pull over, I put it on speakerphone and yell into my lap! Of course, on the way home from school, the lady behind me was on the phone too. She had a lot of paperwork that she kept messing with so she might have been doing someone’s taxes during her commute. In my mind, I stopped at a red light, got out of the car, told her to roll down her window, took her phone and threw it into the woods. Who knows? One day, I might really do it. So, fair warning. I drive a silver Honda Odyssey with a Miami Dolphins sticker in the back window. Stay back!

No comments:

Post a Comment